Monday, November 15, 2004

1 WeeK to Go....

Well it's exactly a week before I leave. I'm starting to get really excited. A year of planning and it seems like I just started getting ready last week.This whole idea started out from lots of rejection when I went to Argentina last year to visit a friend with a laptop and a microphone. I sought out the Indigenous offering to record their music in hopes to produce a CD for some people. I thought how cool would it be to give the gift of recording. I have been in love and involved with the Americas Indigenous music for the last 5 years. I'm also very sensitive to the past and present social situation of the Indigenous of the Americas as well as the rest of the world, but aggressive political activism is not my strong point. So, I want to support the music I love and do my part to amplify the voices and struggle of its creator. But I was met with skepticism and doubt, and with good reason. As many foreigners throughout the years have come and stolen music or one way or another profited by and exploited the many resources the indigenous cultures contain not to mention the atrocities that started in the 1400's and continue on today. So there I was with a big smile on my face saying I wanted to record you with no real reason or goal. I couldn't tell them why because I hadn't really thought it out yet, it was just a feeling. So I left practically empty handed but with a challenge. It was obvious to me that leaving with nothing wasn't really nothing, it caused me to start to put my emotions to words and plan a way to make it a reality, in fact I knew that this project would become a major part of my life. In other words, I found my calling…So, here I go on my second attempt, this time with a real plan, a team behind me, and planned recording sessions. Also, instead of one mic and a laptop, I'm bringing 11 mics, one super laptop, studio monitors, the works. I'm not messing around!!! Also, before this whole experience I would have gagged listening to myself say this, but I feel an amazing spiritual presence around my quest. It's telling me that I'm moving in the right direction as well as preparing me for a lot of personal change on this trip... So stay tuned....

3 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steve,

I'm really excited for you. You have been talking about this for so long, it's great to see you finally making it a reality. It has really encouraged me to find my calling and hopefully also make it a reality.

Good luck, I hope you find more than you were looking for.

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steve,

Geoff Here. Talked to Brock today and he told me about the blog and how things are going with you. Going with good intentions and a strong goal will result in positive results in the end. Things like this make me proud to know you.
Only one note of caution...

Just like the last trip, sometimes the bad parts of an adventure can actually be the reward and positive result. So make sure you let us know not just the good things, but the trials as well (including equipment problems, missed interviews, etc.) Sometimes these are the parts that expose the most humanity.

Take care and see you soon.

-GTT

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Emily said...

noodle!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home